Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Storing Old Film...

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    Originally posted by MikeyB:
    Her husband was in the Vietnam War, and I guess it's footage he took...not sure at all about the condition of the film, it's been in her basement in boxes for years..I know it hasn't been projected in a long time. I may ask her to loan me one of the rolls, just to see what i'm looking at.
    <font size="2.0" face="verdana, sans-serif">The standard answer is store your film in a cool dry place (between 55-72 degrees farenheit??? I'm open to correction on the actual temperature range)

    But on top of that, it's the little things that matter. Do you have your films stored in such a way that if a water pipe burst that it would flood the area where you store your films?

    Are your films easily accessible in case of a fire? (I wouldn't wish that on anybody).

    Should films be sealed, or do they need to "air out"?) Have you considered storing your films on bigger reels with bigger hubs, so the that "wind" is less severe?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mine have been stored for up to 25 years in a small suitcase meant for cosmetics! Most are on small reels, some are in plastic bags, some not, some are wrapped in tinfoil! All are in the same condition...good! The only wear and tear they've experienced is from projecting, not from the storage...Kodachrome is indeed, archival...stuff I filmed at my Grandma's house 25 years ago is still vivid and looks like I filmed it yesterday. (Now if only i could adjust the bad lighting, no tripod, bad composition, etc!!!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •